Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Aavakai Uragaya ~ Andhra Special

Aavakai Uragaya is no doubt the pride of Andhra. Andhra is known for its pickles and chutneys and every summar is spent preparing this. I have always seen this preparation happening at home with Amma getting the chilli powder from Andhra. My aunty who used to stay in Vijayawada used to get the special Red chilli powder and prepare this. The spicy and effect comes from adding this red chilli powder. I am giving a basic recipe with small quantity. The proportion is as given by Amma. Once everything is mixed, store it and ensure to stir it in frequent intervals. Can add more Oil depending on the way it sets.

Cuisine - Andhra

Raw Mangoes - 5 cups
Mustard powder - 1 & 1/2 cups
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Red Chilli - 1 cup
Salt - 1 cup
Gingerly /Gingly/Sesame /Till Oil - 2 cups

Clean and cut raw mangoes in this size. Let it dry for sometime.

Powder the mustard powder. Spread half of it in the bottom. Cover it with mangoes, then add red chilli powder turmeric pw and salt with oil. And top it again with the same mixture. Mix well.

This is the bottle we prepared for this season. We are still stirring and enjoying it.

This is my entry to Sunita's Event on Think Spice ..Think Mustard.

Phew I made it on time....

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


20 comments :

Namratha said...

Srivalli, you had the patience to make Avakai...awesome!! I love Avakai uragaya, makes my mouth water...:)

Jyothi said...

Yes Srivalli! this avakai is andhra special. Any other pickle also cant give this taste. Looks hot and delicious. Great entry. Thanks for sharing.

Siri said...

Hey Srivalli, Avakai is no doubt a pride of Andhra ...:D..
Prati summer holidays lo ma ammamaki ide pani.. Avakai preparation for 5 families hehe.. Thanks for the recipe..:D

bee said...

sri, by gingelly oil do you mean sesame (til) oil?

Prajusha said...

Mango pickle is my all time favourite. this is an easy and simple recipe.

Srivalli said...

Namratha, thank you. I normally do it with my Mom

Jyothi, thank you

Siri, thats nice to know..

bee, yes and it is also called Nalla Ennai in Tamil

Prajusha, thanks

easycrafts said...

my husband likes it a lott...thanks for sharing the recipe

Nags said...

ahhh.. my fave among pickles!

Suganya said...

Do you still get avakkai mangoes? Or are they plain raw mangoes w/o shells? Either ways, this is a classic.

musical said...

Yummy yummy! If only i could get some sour mangoes here! The raw magoes we get here are not much sour!!

Apple said...

Perfect entry Srivalli..Looks great...haven't made this on my own till now...

sunita said...

The pickle looks divine...thanks for the entry :)

Padma said...

I can taste the pickle, gosh thats looking so spicy and tasty and juz like homemade...I wanna have it now

SeeC said...

My fav. Great entry srivalli.
Yours looks very spicy and mouth-watering

Sharmi said...

my MIL makes great avakaya. you reminded me of it. lovely.

Roopa said...

yummy mango pickles :)looks spicy and mouthwatering!

Srivalli said...

easycrafts, thats nice to know..welcome

Nags, mine too..:)

Suganya, these are avakkai mangoes.

musical, yeah then they will be excellent

Apple, thanks

sunita, thank you

Padma, you are most welcome!

SeeC, thanks...from a pickle expert, this sure is a compliment

Sharmi, glad I did

Latha Narasimhan said...

I could'nt post the mango pieces picture as I had prepared much earliar! Never knew I'll start a blog!:D
Almost same recipe except I use less mustard! Keep some for me to taste when I visit you in chennai!:))

Srivalli said...

Sure lathamma

SUBRAMANIAN said...

After you make Avakai Mango, after some days it waters down. To remove the excess water and keep the Urugai always floating in Oil, put some White Konda Kadalai (raw). This will remove the excess water. After some days the Konda Kadalai absorbs water and remove the same. If you find some more water, you can again add Konda Kadalai. This can be repeated untill all the water is removed.

V.Savitri.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...